Who we are?
Vard Marine is the market leader in designing specialized ships to meet diverse mission requirements in harsh operating environments – vessels such as polar research ships, multi-role patrol vessels and innovative commercial offshore ships, are only few examples in our large portfolio. With an integrated team located in offices throughout the world, we continue to grow by broadening our product range, expanding our market reach, and adapting our core competencies and skill sets to align with growing demands. By continually evolving our product offerings and broadening our scope of supply we strive hard to achieve excellence in supporting a diverse customer base.
The integrity and reliability of our vessels are vital. We create bespoke designs and service packages tailored to the unique needs of each client and each engagement. We are experienced, innovative, global and the best at what we do.
If you are ready to unleash your potential and participating in shape the new generation of specialized vessels, read on!
Why should you join us?
- We invest in training & development of our people.
- We offer flexible work environment with Work from Home options.
- We offer competitive benefits that includes extras like a wellness subsidy.
- We top up your 3 weeks paid vacation with additional time off.
- We share our profit and offer merit bonuses.
- And much more…
What does the position entail?
- Project Engineer for Vard Marine’s participation in the Engineering support of Fincantieri Bay Shipbuilding’s (FBS) new construction projects, possibly including all major modification projects.
- Point of contact between FBS, Vard Marine and Vard Group in the Groups’ supply of classification design packages and 3D modelling leading to production engineering information and preparing same from classification design packages prepared by others.
- Assisting FBS in preparation of technical purchase specifications and retrieval of Vendor information.
- Point of contact for the preparation of Proposals requested by client for all projects for new builds or repairs including new vessel design and associated pricing efforts by Vard Marine and Vard Group.
- Establish working relationship with Vard Group members.
- Point of Contact for FBS Management and all support personnel.
- Ensuring adherence to all contractual obligations for all projects.
- Preparation and reporting on project budgeting and financial forecasting for all projects.
- Ensuring company’s profitability targets for the Program, as established by Executive Management, are achieved.
- Coordination with global VARD Group Engineering Management on all projects.
- Participate in Senior Management group at the company level.
- Coordinate program management initiatives with FBS Project Managers and VARD technical staff assigned to the projects.
- Able to make difficult technical decisions onsite with the support of VARD Engineering.
- Primary interface with client’s procurement and technical personnel regarding contract execution, work and change orders, including successful identification and tracking of change orders across all projects.
- Recommendations to Regional Vice President and CTO regarding technical resourcing for all projects and non-technical resourcing required in support of the Program.
- Have advanced knowledge of Classification Society Rules and Flag State Regulations.
- Willingness to mentor and coach staff at lower position levels.
- Leadership role in team working environment, both intra-office and inter-office
- Communicates clearly and can complete work within budget and deadlines.
- Utilize advanced report writing skills.
- Propose modifications to existing policies, primarily within discipline or assigned functional group.
- Build key customer relationships with new and existing clients.
- Work with staff from various departments including worldwide VARD Group Engineering resources to increase sales opportunities and maximize revenue.
- Manage FBS as an existing client to ensure ongoing satisfaction and retain business.
- Present new VARD products and services for FBS to enhance existing relationships.
- Handle FBS concerns by clarifying information, emphasizing benefits, and working through differences to a positive conclusion.
- Predict FBS’ future needs and devise strategies and action plans to meet those needs.
- Liaise with senior management to determine organizational strategy and initiatives.
- Stay up to date on Vard Marine’s current product and service offerings.
- Attend industry functions and provide feedback and information on emerging trends.
- Consult with and present to senior management on business trends to develop new services, products, and distribution channels.
- Use knowledge of the market and competitors to identify and develop the company’s unique selling propositions and differentiators in support of FBS securing contracts.
- Ensure resourcing and forecasting data is accurately entered and managed within the company’s resource forecasting system
- Submit weekly progress reports, ensuring accuracy of data.
- Other duties as assigned.
What you will need to be successful?
- Will hold a minimum qualification of a recognized Bachelor’s degree or equivalent engineering degree in naval architecture or a mechanical engineering field.
- Will typically have ten to fifteen years post-graduation experience in industry with shipyard experience and have experience in transitioning a classification design package into a 3D model leading to extracting manufacturing information.
- Has experience in preparing technical purchase specifications for mechanical systems and components.
- Has an advanced working knowledge of primary computer software programs necessary to complete Position Objectives (i.e. MS Office products, AutoCAD, etc.)
- Overall competency would be considered Advanced in their discipline.
- Proven understanding of the industry and area of service.
- Excellent organizational, strategic, planning, and implementation skills.
- Ability to create realistic schedules and meet deadlines under stress and interruptions.
- High level of critical and logical thinking, analysis, and reasoning to identify underlying principles, reasons, and facts.
- Strong analytical and research skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and relationship management skills.
- Excellent attention to detail and a high degree of accuracy.
- High level of integrity, confidentially, and accountability.
- Ability to respond appropriately in high-pressure situations with a calm and steady demeanor.
- A well-defined sense of diplomacy, including solid negotiation, conflict resolution, and people management skill.
Who you are?
- Reliable – You drive organizational commitments and continuously evaluates and identifies solutions to meet complex requirements and support organizational direction.
- Adaptable – You can strategically plan and initiate complex changes that enhance the business and organizational direction.
- Excellent Communicator – You are able to develop a communication strategy that achieves the best results.
- Critical Thinker – You can analyze the internal and external environment to identify current and future opportunities, challenges, and risks.
- Mentor – You are able to champion the Mentorship Program by driving the development of capabilities.
- Decision Maker – You can assume the risk of making decisions on the fly or in the face of missing information to support the organization even if it may be perceived as unfavorable.
- Leader – You can build on the strengths of the workplace and reduces internal weaknesses through training & development.
- Planner & Organizer – You can develop and oversee multiple plans for internal groups and teams, anticipates risks and takes appropriate steps.
- Problem Solver – You can analyze complex issues to develop approaches or solutions that are considered forward thinking and best practice.
Working conditions for this role?
- Willingness to work flexible hours and work outside normal working hours to accommodate time differences.
- Willingness work onsite at FBS.
- Must be legally authorized to work in the country of job location.
- Might be required to have the necessary security clearance.
- Manual dexterity required to use desktop computer and peripherals.
Powered by JazzHR