Position Summary Eastern University is seeking a full-time instructional designer with experience in online teaching and course design.
This position will support the design and development of learner-centered online undergraduate and graduate course experiences through video editing and the selection/incorporation of other educational technology tools in D2L/Brightspace.
The instructional designer will work in conjunction with subject matter experts and the Center for Teaching, Learning and Technology to create meaningful coursework with a focus on asynchronous remote learning, interactive e-learning, multimedia production, screencasts, simulation, self-paced coursework and resource materials.
The instructional designer will participate in the initial needs assessment, design, and development of the assigned course(s), many of which are currently offered on-ground.
In addition, the instructional designer will review existing online courses for quality, consistency of design and academic rigor.
The instructional designer will curate and produce training materials to assist faculty in enhancing online teaching and learning with the use of instructional technology, including video production.
The candidate must exhibit extensive knowledge of relevant technologies and the principles and theories of adult learning.
Teaching experience is preferred, as is a familiarity with D2L/Brightspace.
– Requires a master’s degree in instructional design, curriculum/ instructional development, instructional technology, or a related field and/or 2 years of experience in instructional design.
– Requires knowledge about effective strategies for online education, based on at least 2 years of prior online teaching/design
– Requires in-depth knowledge of learning and instructional theories and their applications.
– Requires interest in and knowledge of emerging educational technologies.
– Requires the ability to research solutions and respond promptly and clearly to faculty throughout the troubleshooting process.
– Requires ability to develop learning objects that are compatible with specifications of Eastern University’s learning management system (D2L/Brightspace) and troubleshoot issues in compatibility.
– Requires excellent interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills and the ability to work with staff with diverse backgrounds and perspectives on the use of technology in a variety of learning capacities.
– Requires open, timely, and consistent communication with the supervisor and content expert; and the ability to escalate issues in a timely fashion.
– Requires experience with project management and effective time management, especially as it relates to the prioritization of multiple tasks.
– Embodies values of caring and compassion, justice and integrity, competence and affirmation.
– Seeks to treat each member of the campus community with fairness, dignity and respect seeking a spirit of unity and harmony as we join together to achieve our common mission.
Qualifications Masters degree, with Instructional Design Experience and/or training Basic knowledge of HTML/CSS is preferred Regular use of a computer and expertise with the following software: Microsoft Office Suite, Google Docs, and Google Sheets Must be familiar with video-capturing and editing technology.
Experience with Zoom, Kaltura and/or Camtasia are a plus.
Experience with course design and instruction within an LMS is required.
Effective problem-solving skills and strong attention to detail Ability to adapt to changes in a fast-paced work environment Excellent customer service skills Excellent time management skills and strong ability to prioritize and multitask Excellent verbal, interpersonal, and written communication skills About Eastern University Eastern University is a Christian university of the arts and sciences that integrates faith, reason and justice for students in its undergraduate, graduate, Seminary, urban, professional and international programs.
Applicants should have a religious commitment compatible with its mission and be willing to support the mission and vision of the university.
The university complies with federal and state guidelines of nondiscrimination in employment; members of protected classes encouraged to apply.
Background Checks Standard University employees are required to complete the background clearance process.
Employment is contingent upon the successful results of an employment background screening.
The employment background screening may include but is not limited to your consumer credit history (for positions that work with the university finances or alumni funds only), verification of education and professional credentials, criminal history, driving history, residency, immigration status, performance, references, and other qualities pertinent to your qualifications for the following position.
Youth Clearances are required for positions with direct contact with children and essential personnel positions.
Employees working with or around minor age children are required to complete the youth clearance process which includes the following four child protection clearances: 1) Affidavit; 2) FBI Criminal Record Check; 3) Pennsylvania Department of Human Services Child Abuse History Clearance and; 4) Pennsylvania State Police Criminal Record Check.
In accordance with state laws, Act 73 of 2007, Act 153 of 2014, Act 168 (relating to the Child Protective Services Law), school employees of Eastern University who will have “direct contact with children” must complete the background check process prior to employment.
Results must be submitted within ten days of receipt.
Description Disclaimer This description is intended to describe the general level and nature of work performed by the person/people assigned to this position.
It is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of duties and responsibilities of the person/people so assigned.